Saturday, July 14, 2007

Oh My Freakin' Gosh

So, the language barrier... sucks.

Thus far, our experiences on the world traveling have been a bit... crappy. We arrived at the Dublin airport two hours ahead of schedule (so four hours before our flight) in order to share a taxi to split the cost. Somehow we managed to kill the time with reading or playing cards.

The flight itself was quite grand. Flying over the Alps was AMAZING! We tried to take pictures, but none could really capture what we were seeing. I definitely want to go to Switzerland now. We also had a female pilot, which I don't think I have ever had before. The flight was only three hours and passed pretty quickly.

Then we arrived in Italy, and that is where our problems began. We waited at baggage claim for a little over an hour.. an hour! No reasons, just everyone standing around for an hour. We had a fear that we would again lose our luggage, and as we are moving on tomorrow, we were a bit worried about it catching up with us. But it finally came!

So, as it was getting later, we did find English-speaking persons at the info desk at the airport. They directed us a bus that would get us to the main train station, from which our directions to the hostel started. We made it to the station okay- but then all hell broke loose. Well, not really. We waited for a train at one terminal, but all the trains that came were direct to Pompeii, and not what we wanted. Then we tried the Metro, but we had no idea what line to get on. Then we asked some police to point us to a bus- one happened to speak English (thank Jesus) and pointed us to where we could catch a bus. After standing around for about half an hour and realizing that we had no idea what we were doing, we broke down and decided to get a taxi. We were warned that they rip off tourists... and they did. €40 later, we got to Portici- but it didn't really feel safe standing outside at the bus park at 11 pm not knowing any Italian, so I'll accept a €40 bill. However, he dropped us off at a round about... and we still had to wander around to find our hostel. After taking a wrong turn, we had an Italian man chase us down saying stuff in Italian. He pointed down a scary road, and Duncan started to follow him...

Ok, here's where I have to interject, so that it doesn't seem like I am leading Whitney into harrowing and irresponsible danger at every turn. let me begin by saying that I am helpless here- I don't know who to trust and who to be wary of, and speaking none of the language doesn't help. And, as Whitney has appointed me the leader around here, it fell on me to decide how to proceed.

Now, if you are in a completely strange town at 11 at night, and an old man approaches you and starts gesturing down a dark alley and trying to say something to you, your first instinct is to get the hell away. Like... in Atlanta, for instance. Stranger danger, and all that. Really, I am just confused by him, and the Italians won't let you go away until they are done with you. Turns out, he was indeed pointing us to the right place, which we never would have found by ourselves, and I felt mortified by my ignorance of his attempt to help. Luckily, an old Italian lady led us there, saving the day with the word "hostel?", and all was well.

I need to say, though, I hate being helpless here. The bus and train system is horribly confusing and the routes are nowhere to be comprehensibly found, and I feel like and idiot when all I can do is give a blank stare and point to my ear whenever trying to get help or solicit a service... I hope it gets better.

Anyway, having made it clear that I would never be led like a blind puppy to put Whitney in harrowing peril, here's her again!

I love that little Italian woman. She was like a grandmother, and I owe the sleep I get tonight to her. I'd also like to say that the door she pointed us through looked at first to lead to a carpark. I thought, oh hell, where are we? But luckily, we are safe... and about to go to bed, to head to Pompeii in the morning. Wish us luck, that it goes better than tonight has.

Oh Dublin, I miss thee!

Oh English, I miss thee too!

13 comments:

dmw said...

I'm really sorry that your first day in Italy was so difficult and frustrating...and at times scary! I certainly hope that tomorrow is more relaxing and enjoyable. Maybe you should try to buy an English/Italian translation handbook.

I know one thing for sure, we sure will be glad when you two get home :)

Unknown said...

climb mt. vesuvius: volcano of death for me!

oakleyses said...

tiffany and co, michael kors outlet online sale, tory burch outlet, chanel handbags, coach factory outlet, burberry outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, true religion jeans, air max, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin, burberry outlet, nike shoes, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, oakley sunglasses cheap, coach outlet store online, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, air max, prada outlet, gucci outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, kate spade handbags

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, nike roshe run, nfl jerseys, rolex watches, marc jacobs, canada goose, canada goose jackets, beats by dre, ugg boots, asics running shoes, jimmy choo outlet, birkin bag, valentino shoes, canada goose, reebok outlet, mac cosmetics, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, uggs, hollister, ugg australia, ghd, herve leger, ferragamo shoes, insanity workout, ugg boots clearance, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, canada goose, bottega veneta, north face outlet, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, ugg, instyler, wedding dresses, ugg pas cher, north face jackets, uggs outlet, soccer jerseys, canada goose outlet, vans shoes, celine handbags, mont blanc, p90x, ugg boots

midas.poker said...

Just added your blog to my list of value reading blogs

slot online terpercaya said...

This site is my aspiration , really great layout and perfect subject matter.

tangkas pro said...

Things used to be like that, unfortunately different elements made sure they wouldnt stay that way. Congrats on the article

tangkas said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Actually rarely can i encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail about the head. Your notion is outstanding; the problem is an issue that insufficient folks are speaking intelligently about. I’m delighted that we found this in my look for some thing about it.

tangkas said...

extremely good post, i certainly enjoy this site, keep on it

vegas slot online indonesia said...

And Im running from a standard users account with strict limitations, which I think may be the limiting factor, but Im running the cmd as the system I am currently working on.

SEO Services said...

I am glad to be a visitant of this stark website ! , appreciate it for this rare info ! . SEO Services

Men's skin care said...

Glad to be one of the visitors on this awe inspiring web site : D.

menna said...

شركة تعقيم وتطهير دبى
شركات تعقيم ضد كورونا في دبى