Thursday, June 21, 2007

Homesick

I was really feeling the pains of homesickness today. I don't know if it was triggered due to frustrations at work, the unending rain, or missing Issie and Albert. All I know is that I wanted to be home a.s.a.p.

Seeing as we still have three weeks of work ahead of us (and one amazing week of travel), I have to... just get over it.

I had a pity party for myself for about 5 minutes when I got home... journaling about how being an intern is horrendous because you have no voice, your opinion doesn't matter, and, well, you can fill in the things you would say at a self-sponsored lamentation party.

Now, I realize that I only feel bad because of this bleak attitude I have adopted (which I shall blame on the rain). So, I have plans to go in tomorrow heart afire and ready to embrace the opportunity to learn. Positive, positive, positive.

If the sun would just come out tomorrow, wait, I'm not Annie; let's move on to other things.

Jordan, Beth, Kelly, Duncan and I had a feast tonight. We finally ate the duck I got from the luncheon last week. We also had bread, potatoes, white wine and some strawberries and Nutella to finish things up. It was a delicious meal, and we all were joyfully full (a nice change).

Duncan and I went to the laundry room, as a lack of clean underwear necessitated it, and the machine, that will not even accept ten cent pieces, read the two euro coin as a ten cent piece.

More aggravation.

Maybe I should pretend to be Annie. Does breaking out into song help? It was certainly entertaining at the Catholic Evensong service.

As for our days, I am staying pretty busy at work. I got most frustrated because there was a white headline placed on top of a picture. Part of the headline was hard to read because it fell on a white portion of the photo (i.e. looked like crap). So, I suggested to my supervisor that we
put the slightest drop shadow behind the lettering (which not only solved the problem, but made the headline pop a bit), and he said, no "We don't usually do that." So even though I showed him that it did look better (and to me, there was no disputing that fact), I was shot down, the lowly intern.

Now, moving on to better things... Duncan bought a pair of pants for €10. They are quite fetching. Other than that, he says nothing much happened today. However, he did get to play in a tot-sized inflatable castle (he got the best job).

We're tired (still). So we shall be heading to bed! We love you and miss you all very much.

Give our pets extra hugs for us tonight (or in the case of Nala, give her a little wave from across the room)!

Cheers,
Whitney

4 comments:

Donna said...

If it makes you feel any better, we have reverse homesickness....missing you cause you're not home!

Just keep in mind that even though you may not feel valued at your job right now...having that international internship is going to be invaluable when you're out looking for a job! The person interviewing you won't know that some days you were under utilized...they'll just be impressed that you worked overseas at a prestigious magazine company--just try to keep your eye on the big picture!

I bet this weekend will be a great one...rain or no rain! :) :) :) Much love to you (and Duncan)...

MSM said...

Hey there,

I know you haven't seen Gone With the Wind Yet, but I must quote..."Tomorrow IS another day." Tigger, et al., are soaking up the extra love.
Hope tomorrow is cheerier for you. We love you guys and miss you, as well.
worry.

oakleyses said...

vtiffany and co, michael kors outlet online sale, tory burch outlet, chanel handbags, coach factory outlet, burberry outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, michael kors outlet, longchamp handbags, true religion jeans, air max, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin, burberry outlet, nike shoes, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, oakley sunglasses cheap, coach outlet store online, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, michael kors outlet, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, air max, prada outlet, gucci outlet, true religion jeans, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin shoes, kate spade handbags

oakleyses said...

abercrombie and fitch, nike roshe run, nfl jerseys, rolex watches, marc jacobs, canada goose, canada goose jackets, beats by dre, ugg boots, asics running shoes, jimmy choo outlet, birkin bag, valentino shoes, canada goose, reebok outlet, mac cosmetics, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, uggs, hollister, ugg australia, ghd, herve leger, ferragamo shoes, insanity workout, ugg boots clearance, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, canada goose, bottega veneta, north face outlet, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, chi flat iron, ugg, instyler, wedding dresses, ugg pas cher, north face jackets, uggs outlet, soccer jerseys, canada goose outlet, vans shoes, celine handbags, mont blanc, p90x, ugg boots